Silk may be delicate to touch but one of its most interesting qualities is actually its strength! This natural fibre is not only flexible and lightweight, pound for pound silk is actually stronger than steel, meaning that cleaning and washing is surprisingly easy.
Many of our customers hand wash their pieces for everyday wear so here are some tips to help you prepare for your first wash!
- Always separate light and dark colours when washing;
- Use a detergent that is suitable for silk or delicate fabrics (this will usually be stated on the label);
- Do not use bleach.
- Place your clémence garment in cold water (do not to soak for longer than 5 minutes);
- Move the garment around gently, taking care not to rub harshly;
- Use a silk-friendly fabric conditioner in the final rinse to restore softness;
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water.
- Minor wrinkles should disappear if your garment is hung overnight;
- If necessary, stubborn wrinkles can be removed by pressing your silk garment inside out while damp using a cool iron setting;
- Better yet, hang your silk garment in the bathroom during a shower. Humidity will remove the wrinkles for you!
As with all fabrics optimal care will extend the life of your new garment and we recommend dry cleaning as the best way to maintain the fabric’s lustre and soft hand feel, particularly if the piece will be packed away for storage. However, we understand that this is not always possible so if you would like to hand wash your garment please follow our tips above.